Friday, June 4, 2010

Essays

I have 5,000 entires to sort through from my RSS feeds, and about 120 articles I opened but never read. I guess I should start posting about those some time soon. Also, I need to weight on this story. I think the Dartmouth data story is more complicated than the reaction on the liberal blogosphere suggests, but, at the same time, its obvious the story's authors are tools.

In the mean time I've been doing some research on the validity of this model and it brought me back to the best article I've read in the past 6 months, An Animal's Place.

Journalists don't make good points to often, but I think Michael Pollan has a worthwhile thesis. Or maybe he just looks good because his competition on this topic is academic philosophers.

My other favorite Times Magazine stories are Leonhardt's The Big Fix and Krugman's How Did Economists Get It So Wrong? for content and The Aria of Chris Matthews for entertainment value.

While I'm at it I'll link to my two favorite essays: Inside the Machine: Toward a New Development Economics by Abhijit Banerjee and Politics and the English Language by George Orwell.

No comments:

Post a Comment