Monday, November 14, 2011

Occupy Harvard

I think Harvard sucks in a lot of ways but I'm not occupying Harvard and I'm not in favor in general of what the occupiers want. But I do agree with some of their positions. Here they are according to a press release:

  • A university for the 99% would offer academic opportunities to assess responses to socioeconomic inequality outside the scope of mainstream economics.
  • A university for the 99% would implement debt relief for students who suffer from excessive loan burdens.
  • A university for the 99% would commit to increasing the diversity of Harvard’s graduate school faculty and students.
  • A university for the 99% would end the privilege enjoyed by legacies in the Harvard admissions process.
  • A university for the 99% would implement a policy requiring faculty to declare conflicts of interest.

In addition they want a living wage for all Harvard employees and divestment from certain companies.

I'm in favor of the living wage although I've heard everyone is making in excess of a fair wage ($20+  per hour for janitors). and kind of indifferent on divestment. I'd have to see the evidence against the company.

I'm in favor of eliminating preference for Harvard legacies in admissions. I'm against "increasing the diversity of Harvard's graduate school faculty and students" because, first, the subtext is that this will be done by favoring people solely on the basis of gender and skin color and second, the graduate school is not supposed to be a mechanism of social advancement like the college is.

I'm against debt relief for Harvard students because they have degrees worth millions and loans of, at most, tens of thousands. In other words the idea is to hand out free money to rich people.

I'm in favor of making faculty, esp. in the medical school, declare conflicts of interest.

I'm not in favor of "academic opportunities to assess responses to socioeconomic inequality outside the scope of mainstream economics" because, first, they already exist, and second, they suck. Wasting your time pretending to understand poverty is not going to help people in poverty, esp. when you consider research in development economics that does help understand poverty rarely helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment