Friday, July 16, 2010

Class War

If you split the Democratic Party into three camps--the liberals (academics, investment bankers), conservatives (Southern Democrats), and labor (most people)--I have a little in common with each. But I'd only self-identify as a Labor Democrat because the truth is that the liberals are uppity yuppies at best and condescending snobs at worst. Trust me, I've lived in Cambridge.

And I don't think I'm the only person put off by the pretension of the liberal elite. It seems more and more "working class" people are not just identifying as conservatives but lobbying for mindless libertarian policies too (e.g. the Fair Tax).

Ross Douthat, a Republican, argues for small government class warrior policies in his most recent column.

What I don't understand is why someone would support repealing the mortgage tax deduction and means-testing Medicare if they don't like "taxes." The former is a plain old tax hike and the later has the same disincentive effect as a tax hike (in theory). Plus, these policies are so weak it's insulting. You almost feel Douthat is a Republican stooge throwing a bone to the dogs to appease them ... oh wait

No comments:

Post a Comment