Saturday, June 23, 2012

"You CAN'T have it all"

This article in The Atlantic about work-life balance for women is getting a lot of attention.

Despite the article running 6+ pages, I think the only part you need to read is this:
I am writing for my demographic—highly educated, well-off women who are privileged enough to have choices in the first place. We may not have choices about whether to do paid work, as dual incomes have become indispensable. But we have choices about the type and tempo of the work we do. 
Her husband is "an academic" at Princeton so I'm guessing he makes six figures.

I think my wife is going to have a good life. But she won't always be a 00P and stunningly beautiful. She will get old and wrinkly. Our child who won't be born for probably a decade may not be that smart or pretty. My wife may never make >$100,000 (adjusted for inflation). We'll both probably take time off to be with our daughter when she is young. Not everyone is going to like us or be impressed with our lifestyle.

I thought all those things were part of life and if you learned to accept them and focus on the positive you'd be happy. But evidently you need more to have it all and have a "comfortable life."

And to think I spent nearly 23 years thinking I had a good life and many good years ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment